Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Maine Marathon and Half Marathon

This last weekend Jason and I headed to Portland to race.  I ran the marathon and Jason ran the half marathon.  Ever since running the Newport Marathon I knew I would run another marathon.  I was just not satisfied with my race time from the Newport Marathon.  My time was way below what I had trained for which was disappointing so while I knew I should just be proud for finishing the marathon I was not happy.  I wasn't sure when I would be ready to run another marathon but I knew it would happen.  I began looking for marathons within driving distance of home.  I had considered the Maine Marathon because it was close to home and it had a bump out in the course than made it run through the neighborhood that Jason grew up in.  It was a fun thought to think I could run on the same roads that Jason ran around on as a kid.  I had tossed around the idea for a little while but the September 30th race date made me hesitate since that meant my longest runs would be in the height of the summer heat.  I decided to start my training program after I had completed the triathlon and if I stayed with my training program until my sixteen mile run during beach week then I would sign up.  Beach week came and I completed my sixteen mile run in the ridiculous humidity of Point Judith and signed up.  My training went great.  I was able to train at a good pace and with only a minor hamstring issue completed up to a twenty two mile run.  I was ready for the race.  I knew that I should break the four hour mark.  That was my goal and I wanted it!  I was a little nervous since I felt pretty confident that I could reach my goal I knew I would have some bitter disappointment if I didn't make my number.  Jason put in his training time as well and really stuck with his running plan despite losing a few toenails along the way. (I'm glad my toenails don't turn black on long runs!) He had to overcome his disappointment from his first half marathon when he became dehydrated just short of the finish and had a finish time over two hours.  This was his chance to really see what he could train for and complete. 

With all our hope in mind we headed north to Portland on Saturday.  We met Jason's parents at our hotel in Portland and moved car seats and duffel bags to their car and sent the kids with his parents for the night.  We went out for an early dinner and hit the bed early to get a good night sleep.  When we woke up in the morning the weather man said that the rain should hold off until after most of the racers finished.  This was great news...an overcast cool day for a long race...perfect.  Unfortunately the weather man was wrong!!  As we stood at the start line it started to rain.  The rain got progressively heavier. By the time I was out by mile 8 it was down right pouring.  My shoes were completely waterlogged and I could feel them squishing around with every step.  I didn't let it get me down though.  At least it wasn't hot and sunny!  I kept to my pace and just kept telling myself I could do it.  By mile 22 I knew I had it and could make my time.  At mile 24 my right knee started to hurt so bad and my leg started to feel a little numb.  I wasn't going to let it stop me from finishing and I wasn't going to let the last two miles beat me and put me over 4 hours so I just sucked it up and ran through it.  As I came around the final bend to the finish I saw my family.  I called out to Sofia and she ran out with me followed by Ali and they ran with me to the finish.  It was awesome to cross the finish line with my girls and know I had finished under four hours.  I got what I trained for....3 hours, 56 minutes and 33 seconds!!!!  Now I'm satisfied...the marathon didn't beat me!!!  I won't say that I will never do another one but I don't feel the need to complete another one since I reached my goal.  Jason and his parents reached me at the banana table.  It was great to have everyone there.  After getting a few things to eat Jason and I headed back to the bag check while his parents took the kids back to the hotel.  We picked up my bag and walked the 3/4 mile back to the hotel which, while still raining and cold, was a nice way to cool down my legs after running for so long.  

Jason made his time goal as well and finished his half marathon at 1 hour 44 minutes and 16 seconds.  Once we were in the car I had to laugh when Jason said, "maybe I'll do a marathon".  This is how it happens...you make one goal and you see the next accomplishment and the seed is planted.  If he does decide to run a marathon it will be fun to be the one on the sidelines cheering him on knowing all the work that goes into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment